Braden is almost three months old. He hasn't been to his two month well-baby check-up yet. Why?
Vaccinations is why.
The decisions to be made about vaccinate/don't vaccinate, or maybe to only selective or delay vaccinations are a little daunting. There is so much information out there, it's a little scary being faced with the task of sorting through it all and coming to any kind of rational conclusion. My first instinct was, "If there is this much controversy over it, they can't be worth it. I'm just not going to vaccinate at all". I brought up the subject to my husband a few weeks before Braden turned two months, and he seemed all gung-ho about just following Dr's orders and getting all the vaccines on time. This terrified me. My husband has the benefit of college debate classes when it comes to discussing things like this, and sometimes I feel he uses that against me and I can't really hold my own. He told me the burden of "proof" was on me because I wanted to go against doctor's orders. So my reaction was to be passively aggressive and simply not make the Dr's appointments, not mention it anymore, and hope he forgot about it.
Well that worked for a little while, but yesterday he brought the issue back up. He wanted to know why I hadn't made the appointment because I hadn't been able to bring him enough proof that vaccines were bad. I had to put my foot down as my child's mother and tell him that no, the burden of proof was on him. I would absolutely not be blindly vaccinating my child. This forced him into really sitting down with me, discussing his fears about diseases (his aunt was paralyzed from polio) and I feel we really got a good handle on the issue. I am now in the process of ironing out our selective/delayed schedule.
Here is a link to the CDC's recommended infant vaccine schedule.
I would like for Braden to only get one shot at a time, and never any combination vaccines.
- We will not be doing Hepatitis B until he is nearing teenage years.
- We will not get the DTaP series. We will get the Pertussis single vax on time, delay the Tetanus until he is mobile, and we are not sure about the Diphtheria portion yet.
- I am not sure about the HiB yet, I will have to look more into the meningitis risk.
- We will do the polio vaccine, but still not sure when. Will probably delay.
- We will not be getting the pneumococcal, I feel he is not at risk and my breastmilk protects him better than a vaccine from ear infections.
If anyone is interested, here are two of the sites that I found very helpful in my search for information:
MDC Vaccination Archives
My Attachment Parenting Blog